A Neural Network and Deep Learning Workshop for Artists with Gary Boodhoo
Workshop attendees will focus on narratives and strategies for image style transfer by iteratively processing batches of images. This creative AI technique applies the style of one image to the subject of another. For example, a self portrait can be made to look like a Picasso. However, some combinations raise more interesting questions. The emphasis will be on high resolution image generation through a custom interface to powerful neural networks in the cloud.
Exploration will be guided by prompted exercises:
- Create an image and combine it with a provided style to observe how the subject matter is affected by the style. Use a camera or bring image samples.
- Create, edit or select a new style image and apply this to the previous subject. Any image editing or capture tools will work.
- Optional: Using what you learned previously, create a new subject image or a new style image to see the combination of the two
Your resulting artwork will be shown at If So, What? and CODAME ART+TECH Festival ! The training room will transform into a interactive experience with the opportunity to play with the camera and the environment in a demonstration of real time neural network generated images. There will be displays, projections and LED lights for creative use.
- Experience Level: No coding experience is required to participate in this hands-on workshop.
- Requirements: Bring a laptop or similar device capable of uploading images to a web interface.
- Homework: Optional preperation exercises available upon registration
Ready? Get your tickets while still available for an extraordinary learning experience.
This is a not for profit event as members of Intersection for the Arts a 501(c)(3) and all proceeds will be split with the participating artists. Thank you for your support for ART ♥️ TECH !!!
April 27th to 29th at the If So, What? @ Palace of Fine Arts, San Francisco (use CODAME as a promotial code for a 10% discount)
June 4th, 6:30pm @ The Midway
as part of CODAME
Some example art work produced at the workshop:
Instead the neural network dreams repeatedly, building an image from statistics.”
- Gary Boodhoo
CODAME will uncover collective memories and use neural networks in a workshop, enabling visitors to create artworks via Artificial Intelligence and machine learning with Jamaican-born interaction designer and artist Gary Boodhoo.
I began to see the memories represented in neural networks as a kind of universal language.”
- Gary Boodhoo
Artist Gary Boodhoo is an interaction designer who draws on his digital training as well as a longtime fascination with psychedelic experiences to create his artworks. Under the label, DeepDreamVisionQuest, he explores the nature of games and perception, producing what he refers to as “science fiction cave paintings.” Recalling the ancient images at Lascaux, this term is one way to describe the primal human expression he seeks to make possible using cutting edge visualization technology.